Thursday, April 7, 2016

Believe

Anyone who believes in the Son has eternal life, but anyone who refuses to believe in the Son will never see life: the anger of God stays on him.’ 
Jn.3:36

John the Baptist is speaking to his disciples about Jesus, having just said that He, Jesus, must become greater while he, John, becomes lesser. He then says belief in Jesus is the only way to eternal life. To underscore this, John adds that refusal to believe in Jesus is a death.

Belief. Defined as:  Confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof. My faith waxes and wanes but eventually comes down to this. Belief in the unseen. Jesus said to Thomas in today's Gospel Acclamation, "You believe in me, Thomas, because you have seen me; happy are those who have not seen me, but still believe!"  This belief is crucial as it leads to life, real life, not just the froth and bubble of the day but full, heart throbbing, joy filling eternal happiness.

This is the life giving joy of Easter that still throbs through my veins in this second week of Eastertide.  Oh wondrous mystery and gift of belief, I embrace you today.

Jesus, I believe in you. Your fullness of life and Easter joy is mine to share today.
Saint Peter, please pray for me.



No comments: