Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Hope

David said to Saul, ‘Let no-one lose heart on his account; your servant will go and fight the Philistine.’ But Saul answered David, ‘You cannot go and fight the Philistine; you are only a boy and he has been a warrior from his youth.’
  ‘The Lord who rescued me from the claws of lion and bear’ David said ‘will rescue me from the power of this Philistine.’ Then Saul said to David, ‘Go, and the Lord be with you!’
1 Samuel 17:32-33,37

The Philistine Army is drawn against the Israelites in battle and their champion, the giant Goliath, has struck fear into King Saul and his army. The youth David looking not on the might of Goliath but on the might of his God, confronts Goliath and kills him.

I was watching the Hunger Games movie last night (sixteen year old daughter is my excuse). President Snow said something not original but profound. “The only thing stronger than fear is hope”. Everyone has a Goliath to confront at some time. Something strikes fear into our hearts, causing us to lose sight of God, to lose hope. 

David’s hope was stronger than his fear. He was fearful, as shown by him stockpiling five stones to confront Goliath, not just one. However, his hope in God was stronger than his fear and this gave room for God to move powerfully. With David’s hope in God, one stone was enough.
Today, every day, is an opportunity to excise my hope in God, no matter what Goliath may come.

Praise to you my Lord Jesus Christ. I place my trust in you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: