Saturday, February 6, 2016

Jesus... Quiet... Rest

Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”
Mk.6:31

The twelve Apostles have just returned from their first mission trip and report to Jesus the great successes they had experienced. Jesus notes their physical exhaustion and offers an antidote: himself, quiet and rest.

If a word was used to describe 21st century first-world life, it would frenetic. I find it harder and harder to relax. Even when waking in bed in the morning my first thoughts tend to be, "what should I be doing today". I've just watched our neighbour pull out of her driveway and drive off. As her car accelerated away she was still doing up her seat belt. It's as if she needed to be doing two things at once to keep up with her day.

This hectic, feverish life-pace is like a vortex sucking forever further in on itself. The antidote? Jesus... quiet... rest.

Thank you Lord for this quiet time with you this morning. Help me carry this peace into my day.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: