Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Share the Joy

The time came for Elizabeth to have her child, and she gave birth to a son; and when her neighbours and relations heard that the Lord had shown her so great a kindness, they shared her joy.
Lk.1:57,58

Today's Gospel recounts the birth and naming of John the Baptist. Elizabeth and Zechariah's neighbours and family recognised that God's hand was over this baby's birth. They shared Elizabeth's Joy that the Lord had shown her so great a kindness.

Neighbour's sharing joy. There's more than a little Christmas flavor in this phrase. This time of year is unique in that it is a time I can share a salutation of joy to complete strangers. "Merry Christmas!"  I have yet to have the salutation rebuffed with a "Bah, humbug!" like Scrooge. It is usually responded to with a similar well-wishing.

Today my mission is to be a sharer of joy with those I meet. There is so much to be joyful about, no matter our circumstance.

Lord Jesus, you are the source and giver of joy. May I be your conduit of joy today.
Saint Elizabeth, please pray for me.


No comments: