Saturday, March 21, 2015

Missing Jesus

Several people who had been listening to Jesus said, ‘Surely he must be the prophet’, and some said, ‘He is the Christ’, but others said, ‘Would the Christ be from Galilee? ...So the people could not agree about him. Some would have liked to arrest him, but no one actually laid hands on him.
Jn.7:40-44

Jesus is preaching openly in the temple. He had such an impact that he could not be ignored but the people are divided over who is.

Missing Jesus has always been a problem, both two thousand years ago and today. You would think that having the Son of God stand patently in front of you and speak, his true nature would be obvious. But no, apparently not. Something else is required before he is recognised. I think that something is a true vision of self. I need to be honest about myself before a true vision of Jesus is received.

It was the people who openly acknowledged their brokenness, their sinfulness, who recognised Jesus and found healing. The woman caught in adultery, the woman at the well, all of the disciples. Those who saw only their own perceived righteousness in their pride, ...the Pharisees, the Scribes, the Sanhedrin... missed who Jesus was and so missed being set free.

Pride gets in the way of me seeing Jesus.

Lord Jesus, you are always before me but I do not always see you. Help me be lesser that you may be more in my life.
Little Flower please pray for me.



No comments: