Thursday, March 19, 2015

Cherish Protect Provide

SOLEMNITY OF SAINT JOSEPH

She will give birth to a son and you must name him Jesus, because he is the one who is to save his people from their sins.’ When Joseph woke up he did what the angel of the Lord had told him to do. 
Mt.1:23,24

Joseph has just found Mary, his betrothed, is pregnant and he knows the child is not his. A quiet divorce is the response he chooses until God's plan is revealed in a dream. He then unquestioningly changes course and gets instep with God's plan. Man's salvation is a result of his obedience.

The more I learn of Saint Joseph, the more I like him. He is for me a great model of authentic manhood.  I have four daughters, so I have given manhood and husband-ship much thought when faced with their chosen or future partners. I have distilled the role of a husband down to three things; He must cherish, protect and provide for his wife. Joseph did all three superbly for Mary.

I am a husband. There is a message here for me to cherish, protect and provide for my wife. I know that when I do this I am fulfilling my God-given role of authentic manhood. I am instep with God's plan.

Lord Jesus, you were raised by a righteous man, Joseph. You know what authentic manhood is like. Help me become such a man as I cherish, protect and provide for my wife.
Saint Joseph, please pray for me.

No comments: