Thursday, December 18, 2014

A Righteous Man

Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found with child through the Holy Spirit. Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man, yet unwilling to expose her to shame, decided to divorce her quietly. 
Mt.1:18,19

The miraculous virgin birth of Jesus is the focus of the Church today.  Center stage for his brief but crucial role is Joseph, a righteous man.

The dictionary lists the following synonyms for righteousness: good, virtuous, upright, upstanding, decent, worthy. Joseph is mentioned much in scripture but what is said of him paints a picture of true manhood. As the man who raised Jesus from boyhood, I suspect we see much of his chracter reflected in the man Jesus became.

All of Joseph's characteristics are very human and obtainable. They are within my grasp, should I choose them. That's the key. Today I choose righteousness.

Lord Jesus, you were born into the Holy and loving family of Mary and Joseph. Help me become a righteous man today.
Saint Joseph, please pray for me.



No comments: