Saturday, August 23, 2014

Less is More

The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted."
Mt.23,11,12

Jesus is instructing the crowds, warning against pride as shown by the Pharisees. The antidote to pride, says Jesus, is humility.
I've heard a priest say he suspects some of his parishioners who regularly sit at the back of the church do it out of false humility, thinking that this show of piety will some how earn the greatness that Jesus is talking about.
As someone who regularly sits at the front of the church, I'm pleased to hear that seating position doesn't automatically rank you in order of greatness. It's an interior attitude that has greater sway.
It seems the saints have this genuine humility. For many, if not all, humility only came after a great struggle with pride. I'm thinking of Saint Augustine for one. On this point the saints and I have something in common.
Today, let servant hood be my attitude.

Lord Jesus, you know my struggle with pride. Give me a servant heart that I may be great in your Kingdom.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: