Monday, September 17, 2012

A Man under Authority

 "I am not worthy to have you under my roof; and for this same reason I did not presume to come to you myself; but give the word and let my servant be cured. For I am under authority myself,"
Lk.7:6-8

A Roman Centurion calls on Jesus to heal a favourite dying servant.  Jesus recognises great faith in this man because he recognises the authority Jesus operates under. As a result the servant is healed without Jesus even seeing the sick man or his master.

The Centurion is an enigma.  He is a leader in the hated Roman army but a friend to the local Jews.  He has the respect of the people over whom he rules.  He is a pagan yet exhibits to Jesus the greatest faith in all of Israel.  There is something great in the character of this man.  His great faith that impressed Jesus so much was based on his understanding of authority.  As a man under authority and who had authority over others, he recognises the authentic, divine authority of Jesus.

Faith based on authority.  There's an interesting concept.  You would think authority would lead to slavish duty.  But no.  Jesus says authority leads to great faith, a faith that allows Him to perform miracles.  Recognising the authority of Jesus means letting there be less of me and more of Him in my life.  Then perhaps I will see more miracles....

Lord Jesus, I am not worthy to receive you under my roof.  But only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Centurion of Faith, pray for me.


No comments: