Thursday, September 6, 2012

Foolishness of God

Jesus said to Simon, ‘Do not be afraid; from now on it is men you will catch.’ Then, bringing their boats back to land, they left everything and followed him.
Lk.5:11


Jesus has just used Simon's boat to speak from and then rewards him with a catch of fish so huge it almost sinks two boats.  Simon, who is never recorded catching a fish without Jesus' help, is overwhelmed and recognises something Holy within Jesus.  Jesus then calls Simon, James and Andrew to something way bigger that catching two boat loads of fish.

The transformation of Peter from a course fisherman to a holy saint starts here.  It's a story that has always fascinated me.  I see so much of myself in the former Peter and desire so much to become the latter. Jesus' choosing of such rough, uneducated men I believe was deliberate.  It is the "foolishness of God" at work, demonstrating that earthly wisdom is not what is required to be a follower of Jesus.  What is required is the honesty to fall at Jesus' knees and say,  "Leave me, Lord; I am a sinful man." Lk.5:8. 

Lord Jesus, You know my thoughts and how useless they are.  Give the desire for the foolishness of God that I may gain clean hands and pure heart and then climb God's mountain.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: