Saturday, October 20, 2012

Blasphemy

 ‘Everyone who says a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.'
Lk.12:10

Huge crowds of many thousands have gathered to hear Jesus teach. He starts by giving His disciples both encouragements and warnings.  A severe warning is given about blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.

Blasphemy is an old word from the english middle ages.  The dictionary defines it as; " to speak impiously or irreverently of (God or sacred things)".   Jesus warns that to blaspheme, speak irreverently, against the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin.

This reminds me of a quip given in a teaching from a Bishop on a men's retreat I was at recently.  He said,  "Is God's forgiveness unconditional?  Yes, on one condition".   A clever play on words that refers to the verse in the Lord's Prayer, "Forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who trespass against us".

Speaking irreverently against the Holy Spirit is another example of conditions on God's unconditional forgiveness.  In all cases, the limits placed on God's forgiveness are placed by us, placed by me.  It is my unforgiveness, my blasphemy that separates me from God's forgiveness.  And blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has permanent consequences according Jesus.  I can't say I haven't been warned.

Holy Spirit of God, place a guard on my lips and a sentry at the door of my mouth, lest I offend You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: