Thursday, June 10, 2010

Matters of the Heart

So then, if you are bringing your offering to the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar, go and be reconciled with your brother first, and then come back and present your offering. 
Mt.5:23,24

Jesus continues to lay down the foundations of Christian living in His Sermon on the Mount.  He emphasises that pious living is more than external appearances; it is a matter of the heart. 

Among the first “matters of the heart” that Jesus identifies to be dealt with is unforgiveness.  Jesus knows how unforgiveness can distort even the most holy of intentions, like going to the altar of God to worship… like going to Mass.

How often do I go to Mass carrying unforgiveness in my heart?  More often than I care to admit.  These are manifest in all the petty little judgements I make on the way and when arriving at Mass.  In reality I am not in a state of grace to receive Jesus in Holy Communion.  The antidote?  Be reconciled.  Especially be reconciled with others in my parish.  Their brokenness is just a reflection of my own and is probably why I feel so at home there.

Today I forgive my brothers and sisters from the heart and I will go to Mass… in a state of grace.

Lord Jesus.  Forgive me for being so judgemental of my brothers and sisters.  Heal the wound in me that I may be free to receive you with a pure heart.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: