Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Hard Road

‘Enter by the narrow gate, since the road that leads to perdition is wide and spacious, and many take it; but it is a narrow gate and a hard road that leads to life, and only a few find it.’
Mt.7:13,14

Jesus is sitting on the hillside continuing His great Sermon on the Mount.  He is encouraging the crowds on how to live the full life of a follower.  Here He depicts what faces every human being; the two ways.  The easy path is wide and well traveled, promising much but in the end, leading to hell.  The more difficult path is narrow, less traveled, requiring effort to traverse, but in the end leads to eternal life in heaven.

Every day I face these two paths.   The wide gate, the easy path is so seductive.  Less effort is required to go with the flow.  The difficult path is just that; difficult!  Being a follower of Jesus means going against the flow.  It can be hard and lonely work.  But Jesus is exhorting me to take it.  Traverse the difficult path and do you know what?  In doing it I will receive fullness of life, the very thing that Jesus came to bring me.

Today I choose the Hard Road.

Lord Jesus.  I choose you, despite the loneliness at times, despite the difficulties, because You are the Way the Truth and the LIFE!


Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: