Friday, December 18, 2020

A Man of Character

When Joseph woke up he did what the angel of the Lord had told him to do: he took his wife to his home.
Mt.1:24
Joseph has determined to divorce Mary, be it informally, when he is spoken to in a dream to the do the opposite, to take her as his wife. He awakes and unquestioningly does what the angel has told him to do.

The beginning of Matthew's Gospel tells us much of what we know about Joseph. He was a man of honour, a man who recognised God's word and a man who was obedient. There was enough character in Joseph for God to entrust the care of his son to him when the son was most vulnerable, a new-born baby.

For me, Joseph is a great role model of manhood. If the few verses written about Joseph could be written about me I would be mightily pleased. Today I can focus on being a man of honour, a man who hears God's word and tends to it.

Jesus, help me become a man whose character is pleasing to you. 
Saint Joseph, please pray for me.

No comments: