Thursday, January 18, 2018

A Jealous Eye

And Saul turned a jealous eye on David from that day forward.
1Sam.18:9

David is being credited as the greater warrior over the Philestines than Saul and Saul becomes fearful of his crown and jealous of David.

In fact, David was the greater warrior. While Saul cowered in fear from Goliath, David stepped up and defeated the giant. Saul could have learnt from David's example of trusting fearlessly in God. He alllowed jealousy to take root in his heart instead and so began his great fall.

I heard a priest once say he very rarely had people confess the sin of jealousy. It's such a demeaning sin to confess yet everyone of us has been guilty of it. Jealousy isolates me from others, feeds pride and vain-glory. It is the worst of spiritual cancers.

Of whom am I jealous today?  Maybe it’s time I went to a confessional and surprised a priest.

Lord Jesus, I confess the sin of jealousy. Help me be rid of this cancer and liberate myself to work in the opposite spirit of generosity.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: