Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Wonder of my Being

Birthday of John the Baptist

For it was you who created my being, knit me together in my mother’s womb. I thank you for the wonder of my being, for the wonders of all your creation.
Ps.138:13,14

David writes a song glorifying the wonder of God's creation, starting with himself. The wonder of who he is reflects the wonder of all of God's creation and that in turn reflects the wonder of God the Creator.

Wonder:   A feeling of amazement and admiration, caused by something beautiful.

Some days I have this feeling of amazement and admiration about myself. On these days indeed the whole world appears wonderful as I see the fingerprints of God everywhere. On other days amazement and admiration are replaced with disappointment and revulsion. These are grey days where my world is small and self centered.

God knows all my beauty and my ugliness yet he sees me as something beautifully made, indeed made in his own likeness. The key here is to see myself rightly, to see myself as God sees me, warts and all. I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Saint John the Baptist, please pray for me.



No comments: