Saturday, June 10, 2017

Cheerful Giver

‘I tell you solemnly, this poor widow has put more in than all who have contributed to the treasury;
Mk.12:43

Jesus has watched people placing offerings in the temple treasury. He calls his disciples and singles out the poor widow who has given two small coins, all that she has, and exalts her as the most generous giver.

There's a couple of lessons here. Firstly, Jesus observes all that we give. Secondly, he's not impressed by quantity but by commitment. Someone who gives all is totally committed. Like the chicken who supplied an egg for breakfast and the pig who supplied the bacon. Who is committed?

There's times when I've given like a pig, without counting the cost and times when I've given like a chicken.  I've been quite miserly. The miserly times leave me miserable. The generous times leave me with a sense of joy. Let me be a cheerful and generous giver today...

Lord Jesus, you gave your all for me. Help me do the same for you in those I meet today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: