Thursday, July 2, 2015

My Son

‘Take your son,’ God said ‘your only child Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah. There you shall offer him as a burnt offering.
Gn.22:2

God is putting Abraham to the test. How? By asking him to sacrifice what is dearest to his heart, his only son.

The parallel between Abraham sacrificing Isaac and God the Father sacrificing Jesus is clear here. God chose what is most precious to Abraham, signaling the depth of sacrifice he will make in offering up His only Son Jesus.

I am led to consider the preciousness of my own son, my only son among four daughters. I think it's time I told him again how much I love him.

Father in Heaven, the immensity of the sacrifice of your son Jesus has been revealed to me this morning. I look to my own son and thank you once again for the gift of him.
Saint Thomas Moore, please pray that I may be a worthy father.

No comments: