Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The High Bar of Love

But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven.
Mt.5:44,45

Jesus continues the Sermon on the Mount, his great teaching on how to live a Christian Life.  He has started with the encouraging "be-attitudes", followed with exhortations on being salt and light, don't commit murder, adulatory, divorce, don't make oaths... all relatively easy stuff. Then comes the toughies; be meek, give more than is asked.  Then the ultimate call... love your enemies.

I imagine at this point some of Jesus' listeners would be shaking their heads.  The beatitudes tickled their ears. But turn the other cheek, walk the extra unasked-for mile... love your enemies!  No, this is too much!

I have the same struggles.  This sets the bar so high that it seems futile to try and jump it. Loving my enemies falls into my "impossible for man" category. But that quote of Jesus' goes on to say, "...is possible for God".

Maybe this is why Jesus sets the high bar of love before me, to force me to turn to him and plead for his help. On my own, I can't do it.  There will be "unlovely" people I will meet today. Maybe, with Jesus' help, I will be able to love them.

Lord Jesus, you know my love limitations.  Help me jump the love high-bar today when I am called to.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: