Saturday, January 24, 2015

See the Saint in the Sinner

When his relatives heard of this, they set out to take charge of him, convinced he was out of his mind.
Mk.3:21

 Jesus' ministry has truely taken off. The word is out, the crowds are pouring in. And the relatives? They're freaking out, convinced that this "new Jesus", a Jesus even they had never seen before, was deranged.

This is such an obscure detail to have in the Gospels that it convinces me of their authenticity. Why record such a detail unless to simply reflect what actually happened. The human messiness of the story would have been left out of any fabricated story of a saviour.

In a way, this detail sanctifies the human messiness of my story. I'm not perfect, I do things that even make me think I'm deranged! The good news is this doesn't distance me from God. It's part of the human condition that he is very familiar with. Jesus meets me in my messiness, today.

Thank you Jesus that you that never classify me as deranged, that my human weakness is not abhorrent to you. Your steadfast love raises me up as you see a saint in the sinner, as you see gold in the clay.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: