Monday, November 3, 2014

Vainglory

Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory; rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves, each looking out not for his own interests, but for the interests of others.
Ph.2:3,4

Saint Paul is writing to the church at Philippi encouraging them in the christian life. Here he addresses the fundamental sin that is the foundation for all sins... vainglory.

Vainglory. It is such an old fashioned sounding word. Yet it describes painfully well the fundamental flaw in human nature, pride. The dictionary defines vainglory as, 'excessive or ostentatious pride especially in one's achievements". Yep, I know exactly what they are talking about.

 I think I've just found something to take to the confessional, that great place which is the antidote to vainglory.

 Lord Jesus, here I am again with my pride painfully before me. Help me be less so I may see more of you in others. Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: