Saturday, November 8, 2014

Trustworthy

The person who is trustworthy in very small matters is also trustworthy in great ones; and the person who is dishonest in very small matters is also dishonest in great ones. If, therefore, you are not trustworthy with dishonest wealth, who will trust you with true wealth?
Lk.16:10,11

Jesus is teaching again about how to treat money. He highlights how our attitude to even small amounts of wealth reveals how trustworthy we are.

I remember a New Zealand prime minister in the eighties who at the hight of his international fame was having an affair with a woman. I've often recalled this scripture when thinking about that tragedy. How could he be trusted with the affairs of a nation when he couldn't be trusted in his marriage?

Of course, this is a great lesson. I need to be trustworthy in the smallest things to develop a right attitude for all things, great or small.

Getting back to money, Jesus was right. My attitude to money reveals much about my trustworthiness. It's a great litmus test.  I'll watch how I handle money today and take note of what it says.  How should I treat money? With an open hand.

Lord Jesus, You know how tight-fisted I am. Help me be generous and trust worthy in small things so You may entrust me with greater.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: