Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Slave to What?

But thanks be to God that, although you were once slaves of sin,
you have become obedient from the heart
to the pattern of teaching to which you were entrusted.
Freed from sin, you have become slaves of righteousness.
Rms.6:17,18

Saint Paul is writing to the fledgling church in Rome about an age old problem; sexual sin.  He entreats the Roman believers to to use their bodies not for wickedness but for righteousness.  Paul explains that we become slaves to either to sin, leading to death, or obedience leading to righteousness.

The question is not whether we are slaves or not but what are we slaves to? How I use my body highlights the answer to this question.  Sex, drugs, greed, pleasure are all very sensual and pander to cravings of my body.  

Saint Paul suggests the way to move away from slavery to my body is to become obedient to teaching.  Teaching from whom? From Sacred Scripture, from the teachings and traditions of the Church.  Obedience is not a popular virtue but one I need to embrace none the less.

Jesus, you know my struggles and weaknesses.  Help me me become a slave to to your love.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: