Thursday, June 6, 2013

Unity of Faith

And together they said, ‘Amen, Amen’, and lay down for the night.
Tob.8:9


Tobias and his bride Sarah have just finished praying for protection and blessing on their wedding night.  Their very first act as a couple was to turn to God and worship Him.

This is a very popular scripture for Catholic weddings and it is easy to see why.  For a young couple to have unity in faith from the very beginning of their marriage is a huge blessing.

This has been brought into focus for me recently with the engagement of a daughter to a non Catholic Christian young man.  My daughter has held out for a Nuptial Mass as her standard for marriage.  God has honored this by placing a desire in her fiancee's heart to become Catholic.  Their very first act as a married couple will be to go to God's table and receive His Body and Blood.  What a foundation for their marriage!

I am reminded of the preciousness of my shared faith with my wife.

Jesus, thank you for the unity of faith that Kate and I have.  I pray your blessing over us and over our children and their spouses.  
Saint Thomas Moore, please pray for us.

No comments: