Thursday, April 18, 2013

Proclaim!

The Spirit said to Philip, ‘Go up and meet that chariot.’ When Philip ran up, he heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, ‘Do you understand what you are reading?’ ‘How can I’ he replied ‘unless I have someone to guide me?’

A great persecution of the Church has broken out following the martyrdom of Stephen.  Believers scatter, including Philip who meets the Ethiopian official on the road.  The Ethiopian is obviously devout and seeking God as he is reading scripture while travelling.  Prompted by the Holy Spirit, Philip engages in conversation, explains the scriptures and leads the Ethiopian to a dramatic conversion.

I love this story.  It shows how the Church under persecution is at its most potent.  Instead of crumbling, the persecuted Church thrives.  This is as true today as it was two thousand years ago.  I belong to the "Church Militant".  Yes, under persecution but not disheartened.  There is no place for being lukewarm. Today is a time to be authentic and white-hot for my faith.

Come Holy Spirit and embolden me to preach the Good News of Jesus to a world that does not know Him.
Saint Philip please pray for me.


No comments: