Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Big Picture

Simon and his companions set out in search of him, and when they found him they said, ‘Everybody is looking for you.’ He answered, ‘Let us go elsewhere, to the neighbouring country towns, so that I can preach there too, because that is why I came.’ 
Mark 1:36-38

After a busy day preaching, healing the sick and delivering the possessed, Jesus goes off to a lonely place to pray.  The disciples, keen to continue a successful mission, seek Jesus out to carry on where He had left off. Jesus however has other plans and sets off to neighbouring towns.

I'm always slightly scandalised when I read this passage.  Here were people who were sick, possessed and keen to hear the Gospel that Jesus walked away from.  Yet He knew it was time to move on to other towns.

Pressing needs can obscure the bigger objectives. How do I know when to move on?  It's noteworthy that Jesus made this call after a time of prayer.  Here's the answer to my need for clear vision.  Times of prayer.  I'm reminded of DC Talk's song Day by Day that has the lines:

I live a simple life, I take a day at a time.  
I spend my mornings with God before I hit the grind.  
The subtleties of darkness never cease to amaze, 
as the physical world creates a spiritual haze.

Mornings with God.  There's the answer...

Thank you Jesus for your faithfulness in meeting me each morning I pray.  Give me wisdom to see the big picture You have for me today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: