Saturday, February 18, 2012

Speak Blessing

And a cloud came, covering them in shadow; and there came a voice from the cloud, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved. Listen to him.’ Then suddenly, when they looked round, they saw no one with them any more but only Jesus.
Mk.9:7,8

Jesus has taken Peter, James and John up a high mountain where He was transfigured into a blazing white glory.  God speaks over Jesus a blessing, an imprimatur so to speak, giving divine authority to everything Jesus says and does.

The spoken word of a father is powerful to bless or to curse.  My own father was never a great man of words and so I missed his direct spoken blessing over me.  However, I remember once being a Best Man and giving a speech that surprised everyone, including me, for its unexpected eloquence.  At the conclusion of the toast there was a round of applause and I remember hearing my father shout, "That's my boy!".  Thirty years after that event everyone else present will have forgotten that moment, but I never will.  My father spoke a blessing over me that will last forever in my memory.

I need to look for opportunities to speak blessing over my own children, starting today.

Father God, I know You have spoken blessing over me.  I am Your beloved son because I am conformed to the image of Your Son, the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: