Thursday, December 22, 2011

Exciting!

Mary said: ‘My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord and my spirit exults in God my saviour; because he has looked upon his lowly handmaid. Yes, from this day forward all generations will call me blessed, for the Almighty has done great things for me.  Holy is his name...
Lk.1:46-49


The first reading today has Hannah consecrating her son Samuel to God.  The response has Hannah glorifying God for what He has done and is yet to do through her son.  The Gospel echos this event with Mary exalting God for what He has done and yet to do through her son, Jesus.

The Church has a great and growing excitement leading to Christmas.  She leads the way for me to follow with joy and excitement.  I have a twelve year old daughter who is just fizzing at the cork about approaching Christmas.  Sure, her excitement may be focused on material things but that's how our faith is expressed.  The physical exterior represents the spiritual inner truth.  This is an exciting time.  I can do well by following the lead of my daughter.  I think the Church would approve...

Lord Jesus, Your birth is exciting.  Even more so is the promise of Your eventual return.  Come Lord Jesus come.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: