Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mike, come down quickly!

When Jesus reached the spot he looked up and spoke to him: ‘Zacchaeus, come down. Hurry, because I must stay at your house today.’ And he hurried down and welcomed him joyfully.
Lk.19:5,6

Jesus is passing through Jericho when Zacchaeus the tax collector climbs a tree in his anxiety to see Jesus. Jesus, knowing the sinful yet potentially pure heart of Zacchaeus, stops under his tree and calls him down to invite Himself to Zacchaeus's house.  Zacchaeus welcomes Jesus joyfully and is radically converted.

This Gospel story has visited me repeatedly during Communion at Mass over the past year.  I see Jesus stopping under my "tree", looking up into my eyes and calling me down so He can stay with me in my house. "Mike, come down quickly!"  And I welcome Him joyfully.

The tree represents all my fleshly and prideful efforts to get closer to Jesus.  Jesus wants me to step down out of all that I think makes me "taller", be the authentic me that God has made me.  It is down out of my tree that Jesus meets with me and in fact stays with me and I am radically converted.

Thank you Lord Jesus that You accept me in my "shortness".  My sinful imperfections don't stop You from desiring to stay with me and change me with Your love.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: