Tuesday, September 22, 2026

A Big Fat Noisy Family

My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and put it into practice.
Lk.8:21

Hearing God's Word is not enough. It's the doing it that makes me a brother of Jesus. Being Christian is not a Lone Ranger activity. Jesus invites me into a family. 

When I was on the outside looking in, this had an appeal. I was outside feeling bored. Inside was a big, fat, noisy family. They were doing stuff and doing it with joy and laughter. 

Sure they made the usual mistakes families make... poor communication, a bit judgy at times, sometimes over protective and sometimes reckless. But there seemed to be something bigger that made a difference, that made them stick together, dig deeper and hammer it out. 

That was the parish that embraced me, that welcomed me into the Church. Now I'm part of the big, fat, noisy family, watching for those on the outside looking bored. 


No comments: