Wednesday, March 6, 2024

The Spirit of the Law

Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete them.
Mt.5:17

Jesus has just started his great Sermon on the Mount, establishing the ground rules for what he is about to teach. The letter of the law is about to be given spirit. "You have heard it said... but I tell you..."

The letter of the law is death. The spirit of the law gives life and life in its fullness. The Pharisee within me loves the letter of the law. It is crisp, black and white, easy to administer. The trouble with the letter of the law is that it not only condemns those to whom I apply it, it condemns me! 

The spirit of the law applies the letter of the law through the lens of mercy. Mercy is messy. When mercy is applied I get the nagging feeling that people are "getting away with it". And indeed they are. Praise God!

As a man who would be hung, drawn and quartered by the letter of the law, I thank God for the spirit of the law. His mercy is my only hope.

Thank you Jesus for your wonderful mercy. I place my trust in you.


No comments: