Friday, June 30, 2023

What's the Motive

A leper now came up and bowed low in front of him. ‘Sir,’ he said ‘if you want to, you can cure me.’ Jesus stretched out his hand, touched him and said, ‘Of course I want to! Be cured!’ 
Mt.8:1-3

Jesus has just completed his Sermon on the Mount. His first act from spontaneous compassion is to heal a leper. 

The Sermon on the Mount is the longest recorded teaching from Jesus. It's as though Jesus says "Enough talk", as he instantly heals the leper. He is almost impatient to heal. 

For Jesus, there was a time to teach and a time to act. For me, there is a time to listen and a time to act. Listening without acting is not an option in the Christian life. I just need to be sure the action is motivated by love. 

Jesus, sometimes I'm impulsive not from love. I can be impatient, judgemental, and angry. Help me check my motivation before acting.
Saint Peter, man of tamed impulsiveness, please pray for me

No comments: