Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A Peace the World Can't Give

Peace I bequeath to you, my own peace I give you, a peace the world cannot give, this is my gift to you.
Jn.14:27

Jesus had just promised to his disciples that the Holy Spirit will be sent once he leaves. The first fruit of the spirit is peace, a peace the world cannot give.

It's a standing joke how beauty pageant contestants in their open speech always throw in the line, "and I pray for world peace".  The world could certainly do with that today. But Jesus is offering something the world cannot give, it can only receive it. That is, his peace.

It's only through Jesus that a man can look over the place where his four daughters drowned and then say, "It is well with my soul" (Horatio G. Spafford). This is the peace beyond understanding.

So, today I receive this priceless gift from Jesus and say, no matter what happens, it is well with my soul.

Jesus, thank you for your wonderful gift of peace. Help me pass this on to those I meet today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: