Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Do it Anyway

I even discovered an altar inscribed, ‘To an Unknown God.’
What therefore you unknowingly worship, I proclaim to you.
Acts 17:23

Paul stands up and preaches to the Areopagus, the Greek Council. He gains their attention by starting with an acknowledgement of what the Greeks already had, a shrine to an unknown God. This foothold lets him get to his main point, Jesus.

Saint Paul was a brilliant public speaker. This event in the Areopagus is a great example of his genius. But even here most people rejected his message. Some just laughed at the idea of resurrection. Some wanted their ears tickled (entertained) further, "at some other time". But some heard what he was saying and believed.

Things have not changed in two thousand years. However, Saint Paul is a wonderful role model even for today. He kept on preaching the Good News just for those few who listened and believed.

Some will laugh at my faith in Jesus . Some will find my faith entertaining. But some will listen and believe.

Lord Jesus, give me the courage to keep witnessing for You.
Saint Paul, please pray for me.

No comments: