Saturday, May 25, 2013

Jesus Loves the Little Children

 'I tell you solemnly, anyone who does not welcome the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.’ Then he put his arms round them, laid his hands on them and gave them his blessing.
Mark 10:15,16

Jesus has noticed His disciples turning away people who were bringing little children to be touched by Him.  He rebukes His disciples for this and proclaims that these very little ones who are being turned away are actually closer to the Kingdom of God than all.  He then gathers the children, touches them in the warmest of ways by putting His arms around them, and blesses them.

This image of Jesus hugging little children happily gathered around Him speaks deeply to me.  It's the Jesus I want to approach in naked simplicity, uncomplicated like a little child. There is a scene in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe where Susan and Lucy rush up to Aslan and get lost in his glorious mane as they frolic and cling to him. I want to feel Jesus' arms around me and experience the pure joy of simply knowing that He loves me.

Today's reading hints that Jesus wants to do this with me just as passionately.

Lord Jesus, I know the only thing that ever keeps us apart is me.  Help me overcome my fear so I can approach You and allow you to hug me. 
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: