Friday, July 13, 2012

Snake and Dove

‘Remember, I am sending you out like sheep among wolves; so be cunning as serpents and yet as harmless as doves.  Beware of men:..."
Mt.10:16,17

Jesus continues His instruction to the twelve.  He warns that their mission will create for them enemies who want to silence them.  They are to be wary, calculating and yet gentle and peaceful.

Snakes and doves go together like oil and water. Yet, according to Jesus, this is the analogy of what I am to become in order to be an effective proclaimer of the Good News.  It's interesting that I am not to be all snake or all dove.  Too much of either trait will not work, it needs to be a balance of snake and dove.

The wary and calculating side of me is easy to present.  The gentle and peaceful side I need to work on...

Lord Jesus, You equip the called.  Help me cultivate the dove within me to balance the snake, that I may effectively proclaim the kingdom of God is close at hand.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: