Saturday, July 3, 2010

Blind Happiness


Feast of Saint Thomas

'Doubt no longer but believe.’ Thomas replied, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Jesus said to him:  ‘You believe because you can see me.  Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe.’
Jn.20:27-29

The resurrected Jesus has revealed himself specifically to Thomas to allay his doubts.  Thomas is transformed from a doubter into a worshiper, being the first to publicly acknowledge Jesus as his Lord and his God.  Yet, as elevated as Thomas has become, Jesus infers that those who believe without seeing are more blessed.

This indeed is good news for all believers two thousand after Jesus' ascension.  According to Jesus, our belief without seeing Him automatically makes us blessed.  And this ties in with Jesus' constant message that we are better off without Him physically present.  "It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you". Jn.16:6

Today I live as one blessed, happy because I believe and yet have not seen.

Lord Jesus, You are the source of my hope and my joy.  I place my trust in You.
Saint Thomas the doubter, pray for me.




No comments: