Friday, February 26, 2010

All are Family

SCRIPTURE
21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.
Mt.5.21,22

OBSERVATION
Jesus is giving His Sermon on the Mount, the great exhortation on how to live the Christian life. He deals with the basest of human conditions: murder, divorce, lust, unforgiveness, hatred. He equates unforgiveness with murder.

OBSERVATION
Anger and judgement both happen in my mind. On the outside I can appear all peace and sweetness but on the inside be in a turmoil of stinking thinking. Jesus is telling me to change the way I think. This is not easy. It will involve changing old habits, retraining myself in the way I think about others. The starting point for this is in a word Jesus uses repeatedly in this portion of His famous teaching, the word “brother”:

…anyone who is angry with his brother
…anyone who says to his brother, 'fool!’
…and there remember that your brother has something against you
…be reconciled to your brother

You work harder at relationships with family. Today, I remember that all whom I meet is my brother, my sister… is family.

PRAYER
Lord Jesus. Thank you for roll-modelling what a true brother is. Strengthen me today to see all as brothers and sisters, as family.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: