A lawyer stood up to put Jesus to the test, saying, ‘Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?’
Lk.10:25
Where am I in the parable of the Good Samaritan? Great question.
Interestingly, I'm drawn outside of the famous parable and seem to identify with the conniving lawyer. I'm struck by how Jesus drew out of the lawyer the right answer... twice. Firstly that eternal life is found in loving God and loving others and then it is mercy that shows the outworking of these two great loves.
The lawyer actually knew the right answers, he just needed Jesus to draw them out. That's me. I already know what is right and what is wrong. That has been placed in all of us by God. I need Jesus to draw "rightness" out of me.
How does that happen? By doing what the lawyer did. Enter into conversation with Jesus. Even though the lawyer's motivation was corrupt, Jesus drew right answers out from him.
Jesus, you see gold in my miry clay. Draw out of me all that is good, beautiful and true. Let my love show itself in mercy.
No comments:
Post a Comment