How happy are you who are poor: yours is the kingdom of God.
Lk.6:20
Affliction may bring the world's derision but it also attracts Jesus' compassion.
There's a rough sleeper who has set up camp in a subway near my home, a woman. While taking a baby grandson out in a stroller I stopped, knelt down, gave my name and asked for hers. She was frightened of me and would only look at the baby, touch his feet and mumble. On asking again I got "Joanne". She clearly had mental health problems.
On moving on I was struck by the thought that Joanne is probably closer to Jesus than I am. Her affliction would be petrol to the flame of Jesus' furious love.
Where can I find Jesus in my day today? Certainly in the sacraments, but just as certainly in the afflicted I meet.
Jesus, help me see you in the "least of these" that I meet today.
No comments:
Post a Comment