Let the little children alone, and do not stop them coming to me; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.
Mt.19:14
Jesus recognises that childlikeness opens the door to faith.
My entry into faith was greatly assisted by my children, without them realising it. As they were being taught and were receiving the sacraments of initiation, their questions were my unspoken questions.
I secretly started playing their children's Christian music on my Walkman (remember those?). I wasn't ready for meat. I needed milk.
Tomorrow I'm leading Children's Liturgy at Mass. In trimming down the Gospel message to something a five year old can understand, time and again I find I'm speaking to myself.
Thank God for inspired writers and theologians, but sometimes I find it all "so much straw", to quote Saint Thomas Aquinas. The Gospel is actually very simple and I receive it best in simplicity.
Jesus, I come to you as a little child. Please lay your hands and bless me.
No comments:
Post a Comment